Are you a wordsmith? Does your mastery of the wordly arts exceed that of Asimov? Then we want you!
We are gearing up for some a lot of new content and we need a writer to improve the crappy prose that we compose. If you have what it takes, write a 400 word write-up (NO MORE!) of the following:
The Vocar Purification
The Vocar have been detected moving into Midorian space and are destroying ships at random. They have made no formal declaration of war and their intentions remain a mystery. All communications between the Vocar and Star Command have been severed. It is up to your crew to get to the bottom of this mystery.
We would like to see your treatment of this scenario. What does that mean? You show us! It should probably include the following
• Brief premise of what the scenario will introduce and what the player will have to do to solve the problem.
• Mission ideas (these can be short write-ups). We will be looking for sensitivity to the confines of the game engine. “There is a huge armada sized battle going on around the player” is probably outside of the scope of our current game. That said, we would like to see original ideas and things that push the envelope and challenge us. We definitely get tunnel vision working on our own game.
• Dialog examples. With this we need to see two things. First, that you understand our balance of “humor” and world building. The game isn’t too serious but there is a nice balance. The second is sensitivity to player patience. No one likes to read diatribes - lets get to the point!
• World building. Show us that this expands our universe, plants seeds for cool stuff and makes the product better overall.
Write-ups are due no later than SATURDAY, MAY 11th, 8:00pm EST.
E-mail all 400 word submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
YES THIS IS PAID. We believe in paying artists. If possible, please submit typical contract rates.
Bug Fixes Include: • Added beginner difficulty level • Engineering lagging devices fixed • Unlock larger ships and heavy difficulty • Tips for Minigames • Added missing countdown for a few random “yellow” missions • Grol split period reduced, but increases 2x with every split • Allow touch larger area to grab token • Ammo button now disabled if no more tokens allowed • Assign buttons disabled if room is full • Weapon UI improvements • 3 additional tokens (15 total) given on new game • Max crew increased to match number of rooms • Various other UX tweaks • Other various bugs and adjustments to make the game more fun!
• Do final credits in google doc • Write app description • Write app keywords • App screenshots (5 for iPad, 5 for iPhone) • Import, strip out names, possibly separate into categories • Main Menu - Fill out “OTHER INFO” button content • Add intros [at release time] • Define each “checkpoint” we want (for dropoffs), install analytics for crashes • Turn off debug features: logging, excess analytics, debug app settings, • Unset all debug code flags (DEBUG, TESTING, etc) • Clean up project for all unused assets & files (semi-optional)
You’ll notice a distinct lack of bugs (not saying were going to ship a bug free product, but it should be really good).
We are looking for a pixel artist! Do you love starship design, understand isometric views, and want to to get paid? Well then we have the position for you.
This is a paid contract for the next 1-2 months starting immediately. We have attached a couple images for our current style and standards. We are hoping for an artist or two that can match this style, as we don’t want certain assets not “blending”.
If interested, drop us an e-mail: starcommandgame at gmail dot com
It’s not a trailer, but we wanted to show you guys some of the animations we have been working on for the game. These are just a little sampler, but it should give you an idea of the quality of animation we are going for, the spirit of the game and why the hell it’s taking so long.
The first is the teleport and sign in when you hire a new crew member or bring someone aboard.
The second is an upgrade to tactical. No context - just use your imagination.
As a final note we are working on the game full time now - so we got that going for us.
Hope you enjoy! Leave us your thoughts, always love to hear from the community.
So we haven’t updated for a while - and that’s not for a lack of content. We have all been working pretty tirelessly on the game. Justin and Jordan have been cranking on general design and art assets. Steve has been working around the clock developing the game and balancing things out. See the screens after the jump.
Before we get to the new stuff we thought it might be fun to show you some of the old stuff. Did you know Star Command was originally a 2D “scroller” for PC? And that we have been working on the game for well over four years?
We have had an amazing response to the Reddit story. There was an article yesterday on TouchArcade and today we have seen two more, one from Three Quarter D/Pad with very kind words - "Brace yourselves people, there is a potential juggernaught on the horizon". The second was over at Droid Gamer with equal enthusiasm - “…productivity here at DroidGamers is going to drop the day this comes out.” Awesome.
Thanks to all these sites for featuring such a tiny upstart.